Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Knitter's Virtual Vacation Swap Questionnaire


My first experience with a knitting swap was so good, I signed up for another one. The questions:

1. If you could visit any state in the US, which would it be and why?
No question - Maine. From what I've seen of it in pictures and movies, it's beautiful. It has all the things I appreciate: old-growth forests, a rugged coastline, lots of water, boats in the harbor, and plenty of places to hike and fish. Then there's the food: blueberries, lobster, maple syrup, plus other things I've yet to discover.
2. If you could visit any country in the world, other than your own, which would it be and why?
England. The England I got to know through books. I want to see all the places that I've read/dreamed about over the years: London, the Yorkshire Dales (James Herriot, the Brontes), the Lake District (Beatrix Potter).

3. Have you ever driven across several states/ providence/ countries?
a) The U.S. - My family moved and "road tripped" a lot, consequently I've driven through every state west of the Mississippi River. I've also driven through New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, and Rhode Island.
b) Canada - Back and forth (repeatedly) to British Columbia from Washington state.
c) Europe - Italy, Switzerland, Germany, and France.
d ) Brazil - The states of Sao Paulo, Minas Gerais, and Rio de Janeiro. Road trips while living there.

4. Have you ever visited someplace you consider exotic? Where was it?
Yes - Brazil. Although I lived there, I didn't get to see it all. I'm going back one day and dragging my sister with me!

5. What was your favorite "travel" vacation? Why?
In 1980, my family went to Peru. From Lima, we flew to Cusco, so we could take the train to Machu Picchu, where we stayed in the "new" hotel. We had altitude sickness, the train had big gaping holes in the floor, and there were spiders in the shower. We laughed so much; I was fourteen and thought it was fantastic! Machu Picchu was amazing and humbling. There were alpaca, vicuna, and llamas everywhere. I wish that I still had the alpaca sweater I bought.
Added: Then again, there was the summer of '88, when I backpacked through China. I climbed up to the top of this (there were stairs...lots of them!). I also saw these. Oh, but I also caught mono when someone on a bus coughed on me.
On the other hand, maybe the week spent hanging out with friends who lived in Lugano, Switzerland, was a better vacation!

6. Have you ever played tourist in your own home city/state (if international, country)?
It's my favorite thing to do. When you are going about your day-to-day living, you forget about the things that make your home a great place to live. Playing tourist helps me remember the things I take for granted and why I live where I do.

7. Are you a museum visitor, beach comer or an amusement seeker?
I'm a museum visitor (minored in art). I also like going to the beach, but I prefer rocky beaches with tide pools, places to dig for clams, and things to climb on.
8. What's your favorite type of yarn?
Anything soft, especially wool or alpaca.

9. What's your least favorite type of yarn?
Novelty or acrylic.

10. What items do you like to knit/crochet?
Hats, scarves, washcloths, simple lace, and purses. I want to add socks to this list someday soon. Edit - July 2007: I added socks to the list! :o)

11. What do you pack, knit/crochet wise when you go on vacation?
Something simple with a pattern I don't have to think about too much.

12. What other crafts do you do/would like to do other than Knit/Crochet?
I make jewelry - wire wrapped, beaded, kumihimo, beaded loom work. I occasionally paint (watercolors), rubber stamp, and cross stitch, but not so much anymore (knitting and jewelry are my mainstays).

13. Are you allergic to anything? (Yarn wise or treat wise).
I'm not allergic to anything, but I'm not crazy about white or dark chocolate.

14. What is your favorite color? Least Favorite?
I like colors that are found in nature: autumn colors (reds, chocolate browns, & dark orange), ocean colors (greens & blues), jewel tones, and muted greens. I prefer subtle to bright.
My least favorite colors: khaki, pastels, and neons.

15. Sweet or Savory (Treat not personality)?
Savory, but sweet is good too.
16. Anything else we are forgetting to ask that you think your partner desperately needs to know?
Not that I can think of. If it helps, my other swap questionnaires are on the sidebar of this blog.
Just have fun! I'm pretty easy to please.

4 comments:

tina said...

Oh crap Hapa Girl! How could you get me in such trouble? :) Of course, I had to sign up, man I love swaps, they are just such a delight!!!! I still think it is all your fault however!!!!!

tina
www.KnittingContessa.blogspot.com

Carol said...

Maine is a wonderful place to vacation! I went there with my family a number of times. Gorgeous, relaxing, and pretty much perfect! (In the summer, that is... in the winter, I'm not sure sure LOL!)

Sharon said...

For your first swap you picked a good one (of course I am going to say that, LOL) I hope you have having fun "visiting" and "vacationing" with other bloggers

Unknown said...

Hey, from a fellow KVV member (Alicia)

I just caught the webpage for the stitch marker exchange that you are in. Are they only accepting signups for the next one starting July 1st? Or can you sign up at anytime?

I've caught the swap bug too, I'm in KVV and also I'm paying dishrag tag. :)