Monday, May 7, 2007

Knitting for a Cause

I wanted to kick start my knitting, so I've joined the Charmed Knits Knit-Along. I will be making hats inspired by the Harry Potter movies. They will be sending their hats to Warm Woolies, who will, in turn, distribute the hats. Funny enough, Article Pract (one of my favorite yarn stores) is also knitting for this organization. Warm Woolies has donated knitted articles to orphanages around the world, but what really clinched the deal for me was finding out that they donate to the Rosebud and Pine Ridge Reservations (home of the Brule and Oglala Sioux) in South Dakota.

I remember driving through the reservation during summer visits to my dad's family (Dad was a farm boy turned accountant. It was his ticket off the farm). Most of these road trips were in the late 70's/early 80's when things were really bad on the reservation. It isn't something that is easily forgotten. It's been a while since I've been back to South Dakota; I had hoped things had improved, however I don't think they have. According to information on the Warm Woolies site, the Rosebud and Pine Ridge Reservations have the lowest per capita income in the U.S. . . . I sit here shaking my head, thinking how shameful that is. It's hard enough coping with the weather in South Dakota (blizzards in winter, heat wave & drought in the summer); I can't imagine having to do that while living in substandard conditions.

Loosely translated, Lakota means "alliance of friends". Why not join an alliance of knitters and help keep someone warm this winter?

No comments: