Sunday, May 20, 2007

Lazy Sunday at the Hermitage

About a month ago, I finally got together with a friend of mine to exchange Christmas gifts. It took us four months, but we finally did it! She gave me this: It's a sandcastle bundt pan from Williams-Sonoma. Cute, isn't it? Unfortunately, I don't have kids and I bake cakes only about once or twice a year. Even though I felt guilty about it, I exchanged it for one of these. Now, I've never been a big pancake eater, but I have wanted one of these pans ever since I read about them in third grade (I am such a literature nerd! I tried to whittle once, after reading about it in the "Little House" books. Took off the top half of my thumbnail!)

I broke it out this morning. The hardest thing to do was to flip them over, so both sides would cook. I didn't have any applesauce to put in the middle, so I added pear sauce from Trader Joe's to about half of the ebelskivers. Evidently, you can stuff them with just about anything, provided you cover it with extra batter before you flip them over. They were a little crunchy on the outside and pretty tasty! Kind of like a cross between a silver dollar pancake and a jelly doughnut. I'm trying to figure out what else I can make in the pan... In the end, it was worth the guilt.

I spent the rest of the afternoon knitting (things I can't show yet, bummer) and trying to read the paper. I was getting help with the big words.

No comments: