Thursday, May 3, 2007

A Nice Night to Knit

It's cold and grey outside; the rain is slowly coursing down my windows. It's a perfect night to stay in and try to make a dent in my pile of unfinished objects. A good idea, since I am on a yarn diet until I actually finish something.

But first,
Knitting Psychos put out a call to Bay Area knitters to see if there are any knitting groups in the Dublin/Pleasanton area. If anyone knows of one give her a shout (or me too, for that matter). I don't know of any groups, but here are some yarn stores I frequent in the East Bay/Tri-Valley area:

1) Article Pract in Oakland - My cousin taught me how to knit. I forgot. I taught myself to knit...badly.
Article Pract taught me how to knit, and an obsession was born. One thing I love about this store is that no one makes me feel like an idiot when I ask a question. They have a good selection of yarns in various price points and a whole wall of needles and hooks, both wooden and nickel plate. The store offers free help twice a week and their classes are great!

2) Knit This! Purl That! in Pleasanton - This store used to be called Main Street Knits. The store has a new owner, a new look, and (obviously) a new name. If you like
Noni patterns, Knit This! Purl That! not only has the designs, but will be carrying everything you need to make the bags or flowers as specified by the designer. The owner is changing up the yarn selection by bringing in Lorna's Laces, Malabrigo, TOFUtsies, and Araucania yarns. I'm eager to see how the shop changes.

3) Stash in Berkeley - My sister always makes me drive over to see her, so why not occasionally throw in some yarn buying while I'm in the area?
Stash has a nice selection of Manos, among other things. The last time I was there, I was really impressed with the amount of sock yarn they had in stock. I may have to learn how to knit socks soon.....

4) Fashion-Knit in Walnut Creek - I stop in here every so often when I have to be in Walnut Creek. Nice store, helpful people.

5) Skein Lane in El Cerrito - Unfortunately, the retail end of this business closed last year, but classes and workshops are still offered through Skein Lane Studio.



I live about five miles away from my
local yarn store. Suffice to say, there are reasons why I drive out of my way for yarn, rather than go to my lys.

1 comment:

Manda said...

thank you for the links! I bookmarked the blog post. I can't wait to get out there!! (t-minus 5 days until we leave dallas!)